Eid Holiday and time to treat the family with warm & fresh prepared meals well we have fresh food but cook one day earlier as, I am working so no option, and when weekend come to feel it’s a feast at home but for this holiday just plan to have a plain meal that is Simple Thali / Saadi Boshi, which is favorite to all at home and so today menu I choose, is very simple and Goan Cuisine.
I prepared Dry / Sukhi, Prawns / Sungta / Curry / Kodi, Dry we say in English and Goan Konkani we call it Sukhi, Prawns we say in English, and Goan Konkani we call it Sungta, Curry we say in English and Goan Konkani we call it Kodi, it was a yummy and soulful meal with Rava fry kingfish, with a dollop of Lime Pickle which was all the way from goa my friend mum, love which she seals and gave me through pickle it was terrific, sorry I can’t give the recipe as I don’t know, and a dollop of Prawns balchao was another package of love from my Sister-In-Law, what else I can ask them.
Dry Prawns curry was very simple with freshly grated coconut and spiced and kokum / Binda sol, we call it in Goan Konkani, just blend the fresh coconut with spices then saute with onion and then add dry prawns and Binda sol/kokum it is nothing but a sour agent or substitute of tamarind, Goan are blessed almost every house there is kokum tree and my neighbor had one and lucky to have fresh one it goa during summer season we get kokum to enjoy fresh one and my hubby friend gifted us these purple beauty. Kokum is fruity and tangy flavor, it is also used for treating the skin rashes caused by allergies, till date I remember when we were kids my granny use to rub on the rash, it really very effective, and also use for a drink and made curry out of it, and always serve with thali, will shortly post the kokum curry.
Whenever I travel for vacation to goa, never miss bringing my fresh stock of Kokum / Binda Sol from goa, I love the color and it’s my favorite too dark purple and look so soft, and to keep for the long run / which acts as a preservative, has to add some rock salt.
My Menu for Simple Thali / Saadi Boshi # 6
- Dry Prawns Curry.
- Lime Pickle.
- Prawns Balchao.
- King Fish Rava Fry.
- Parboiled Rice.
Dry Prawn Curry Ingredients :
200 gm Dry shrimp clean and washed
2 tbsp. Coconut oil
1 onion medium chopped finely
2 ½ cups water
2 green / red fresh chilies slit lengthwise
salt as per taste
Ingredient to Blend :
1 Cup Fresh Coconut grated.
3 Dry Kashmiri Chilies
2 tbsp. Coriander seed
2 tsp. Cumin seed
6 garlic cloves
1 tsp. Turmeric powder
- Take a blender add the above ingredient to blend, add little water and blend into a smooth paste.
2. Take a deep pot add oil at medium heat add chopped onion and sauté till it is translucent, add kokum and dry prawns and sauté for 3 minutes at low flame.
3. Then add blend smooth paste and sauté for second add water and salt, cover the pot halfway and let it simmer at low heat.
4. Once the curry at boiling point checks the salt, add the fresh slit green chilly, and cook for 3-4 mins without a lid.
5. Serve the Dry Shrimp Curry with Steam Rice.
King Fish Rava Fry.
For Marinade :
6 Thin slices of King Fish
2 tbsp chilly powder.
1 tsp. turmeric powder.
3 tbsp. lime juice or Vinegar
Salt to taste.
For Frying :
4 – 5 tbsp. of Rava
- Wash the fish and keep aside. Meantime let’s marinade.
2. Take a deep bowl add the marinade ingredient, salt, and lime juice or vinegar and mix well then add the kingfish slices roll nicely with marinade ingredient, and keep for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Heat the frying pan, add oil in meantime take a plate to add Rava, take one slice of fish and roll in Rava nicely till it coat well, and keep aside follow the same procedure with all the slices of fish, at medium heat add one by one slice and shallow fry they fish at medium flame, then flip to other side and fry till golden brown or desire but see that don’t over fry, the fish.
4. Take a plate add kitchen tissue take off the fish on a tissue to take out the excess oil.
5. Take the desired plate I took my daughter favorite thali she loves to have her rice on this lovely plate with a serving bowl attached 🙂 so today click I adopt my Danica Plate, so I bowl I add Stem rice, King Fish Rava Fry, Dry prawns curry, Dollop of Lime pickle and Dollop of Prawns Balchao and relish every bite.
Sorry, I couldn’t give the recipe for Lime Pickle and Prawns Balchao.
White frying fish can add more rava according to required, substitute Rava can also use brown flour or can fry plan too.
I use Rava because I love the crispy, and for marinade can also use garam masala.