Simple / Saadi, Simple mean in English and Saadi mean in Goan Konkani which means simple, Thali / Boshi, Thali in English plate, Boshi mean in Goan Konkani, are served with the different dish in one platter, well today share goan seafood thali / boshi with catfish /sangot well all must know what is catfish, and songot is catfish in Konkani, so I prepare Catfish Curry / Songot Ambot Tik, ambot tik we call for curry, hence it means Ambot mean tangy and Tik means spicy. So both combined it means Ambot Tik.
Goan Cuisine is mostly served with seafood, the staple foods are rice and fish, we goan get rice (Xit mean rice ) Curry (Kodi mean curry), we will forget all other dishes, because Xit & Kodi are the soul food meal and complete platter, with fish like Kingfish, shark, mackerel. Among the shellfish are crab, prawns, lobster, mussels, this food for Goan Christians are influenced by the Portuguese. And till the day we relish this dish and traditional to goan.
My family just relish this simple boshi and as they missed much traditional food of goa, as being far away, so as a Mama I tried my best to introduce they goan traditional food and made these blog for my daughter to relish these dish as she grew up and Seek the goan traditional food. So preserved the Goan Traditional on my blog @LindaCreation
Well, my simple thali / Saadi boshi # 5 listed noted below :
1. Cat Fish / Sangot Ambotik Curry
2. Cat Fish / Sangot Rava Fry
3. White Stem Rice
4. Mango Preserve Slice.
Ingredients for Catfish / Sagot Curry / Ambot tik :
1 Catfish / Sangot -7 – 8 pieces
2 Onion Medium
1 Tomato Medium
Salt to taste (according to ur taste)
Blend into Smooth Paste :
7 Dry Kashmiri Chillies
1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1 tsp. Turmeric
8 Flakes of Garlic
1/2″ inch Ginger
8 Black peppercorn
3 – 4 pieces Kokum
1 Onion medium (chopped into bit chunk – for grinding with masala)
- Clean and wash the fish, cut into 1/2 in pieces, apply some salt.
2. Meantime blending the masala, take a blender add blend paste masala, add little water and blend into a smooth paste. Meantime chopped onion into small, and tomato into small.
3. Take a bottom vessel to add two tbsp. oil let it heat at medium add chopped onion, saute till it turns to translucent, add tomato saute for a while till it turns mushy.
4. Now add the blended masala and sauté for a while and then add half cup water and let it boil 3 minutes and then add fish kokum, check the salt let it cook for another 7 – 10 minutes then close the flame, your delicious Amot tik catfish / sangot ready.
4. Serve with White Stem Rice.
Rava Fry Catfish / Sangot :
5 – 6 Pieces of Catfish / Sangot
4 tablespoon of Rachaedo masala paste (here)
1 Cup Rava
Salt to taste.
- Clean the fish and apply salt, apply rachaedo masala and keep for 15 – 20 minutes
2. Take a skillet add oil, meantime take a plate add rava, dip the fish and apply the rava both sides nice do for all the pieces, at medium heat add the fish pieces and fry for 6 minutes each side, turn to another side, and fry another 6 minutes, see that fire should be at medium otherwise the fish will turn to dark brown, take the fish on a plate, keep aside.
Mango Preserve Slices
6 Raw Mango (Cut into Slice)
5 Green Chilly
6 cloves of garlic
1 Glass Jar sterilize
4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp Salt.
- Take green chilly and garlic cloves and crush on mortar, keep aside
2. Take a deep bowl add the chopped mango slices, crush green chilly & garlic.
3. Take Jar to add salt and water and stir well then add raw mango along with green chilly and garlic and keep for preserve in a dark place at night just stir the mango slice with a clean spoon and after 3 to 4 day, mango slice, green chilly and garlic/ pickle is ready to relish with hot steam rice.
For Salt also can use rock salt, and add more green chilly & garlic according to desire, it tastes awesome & crunchy.
Can keep this for more than a week. keep in refrigerator after 5 days.
White Stem Rice
2 cup white rice (Any Basmati Rice)
6 cup water
- Wash the rice and soak for 20 minutes, take wide and bottom pot adds water to let it boil, drain the rice and add to boiling water, add salt, let it cook, till the rice is done, check the salt. drain the water in the strainer and here your white rice is ready to relish with catfish / sangot curry / ambot tik.
Assemble the Thali / Boshi :
Take a plate add white stem rice, pour a curry as my kids make well 😛 and have their rice, take a rava fried fish, last but not least mango preserve slice, and relish the delicious simple Thali.