Sannas are goan dishes, they fluffy/spongy rice cakes that go well with any gravy vegetable and non- vege. Although the traditional Sannas have toddy / but here in the Middle East it’s a bit difficult to get if you are in goan can add toddy replace of yeast and if your don’t use today can use yeast.
This sanna just refresh the memories of goan my mum use to make in round mold well I don’t have round mold if you have you can make in round or idli cooker as well, it is so spongy and similar to idli, this is made after a long time and my kids really enjoy this spongy rice cake and had with red bean with xacuti masala, I just love the aroma of the Xacuti, when cooking the whole house is with its aroma, and its pair with sannas amazingly, we just relish this beautiful and delicious dish. over a weekend.
3 cups red rice
2 cups grated coconut
1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar (for yeast)
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp lukewarm water
1/2 cup water (for batter)
1 tbsp. oil (greasing mold)
Salt to taste
Instructions : 1. Wash and soak rice overnight.
2. Take a cup, add lukewarm water, add yeast and keep for 5 – 10 minutes, the yeast begins to form a creamy foam on the surface of the water. Meanwhile, blend the rice.
3. Take a blender and blend in small batches, add some rice and coconut In a blender add some water, and blend into a smooth paste. (not granulated) and blend all the remaining rice.
4. Now take the active yeast and add in the batter of rice, add 2 tbsp. sugar and salt, mix add some water to make a thick batter. (the consistency should be thick and not too thin)
5. Now take the batter bowl and cover, and keep in a warm place for the batter to rise or double for 3 hours.
6. After 3 hours, take a rice cooker with idli stand, grease the mold, stir the batter and check the salt if required add according to taste, take a spoon and add the batter to the mold don’t add too much batter once it cooks it will be double in size. And cook for 15 minutes, check the sanna insert the toothpick if it comes clean then close the flame if not cook for while. And do the same process remaining batter.
7. When the mold is cool, run the plastic knife along the edges, to come easily from the mold.
8. Serve with Red Beans Xacuti or any gravy according to the desire.
Sana’s Recipe adopts by Jessie from Celebrationinmykitchen.
1. Soak the beans overnight, next day take a pressure cooker to add beans, add 2 cups of water, add salt and cook for 10 to 15 minutes on medium heat, I cook till 2 whistles, check the beans are done if not cook for 3 minutes, switch off the flame, save the beans water to cook the gravy.
2. Take a pot at medium heat, add oil let it warm, add diced onion let it cook till translucent, add chopped tomatoes cook till it is mushy.
4. Add 3tbsp ground xacuti masala and cook for about 5 minutes, add the beans water, let it cook for 5 minutes check the salt, adjust accordingly, add the cook red beans and cook for further 10 minutes, check the gravy consistency and adjust.
4. Switch off the flame and serve with chapati, sannas, or pita bread.
The Sannas mold of goan is round as I don’t have I made this is Idli mold if you have round mold can cook in that.
Rice for the sanna can use any Praboiled or red rice depend on each desire.