Rasgulla is a Spongy & Sweet dessert popular in Indian, especially in Odisha, West Bengal. The dish originated in Odisha centuries ago, while a whitish spongy variant, it’s called “Bengali Rasgulla” or “Sponge Rasgulla”.became popular in Bengal in the 19th century.
Rasgulla is made from ball-shaped dumplings of chhena(an Indian cottage cheese) and, cooked in light syrup made of sugar. This is done until the syrup permeates the dumplings.
“Rasgulla” If the chenna is over kneaded, it won’t work, if it’s less kneaded, it won’t workout! So, see and consistency and prepare this… The key to getting a perfect rasgulla is lying on the moisture content and the kneading.
This is my kid’s favorite sweet and I often make it for them, it vanishes in few seconds. I just love the texture & Spongy and when I squeeze it comes back to its shape and taste-wise divine.
It’s divine desserts according to me Gulab Jamun also round in shape and I feel both desserts belong to the same family 😛 it’s tastes terrific. Well, let’s begin with the recipe.
1 liter Milk
2 Cups Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Water
3 Green Cardoman.
2 – 3 tbsp. Lemon
1 Cup Ice water
Mix the Lime juice with 1 tsp. of water and keep aside.
2. Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid burning the milk at the bottom.
3. Once the Milk comes to boil, add the lime juice slowly, at a time keep on stirring the milk. Now, reduce the heat, you will see the milk curdle and the milk fat separates from the whey. Switch off the flame.
4. Pass the curdled milk through the cheesecloth-lined with a colander, wash the chenna with ice water. And squeeze the water as much as possible. Hang it for 20 – 25 minutes, to excess water, or also can keep heavy weight on it, E.g pressure cooker with water it will help to remove the excess water from the paneer.
5. While the paneer/ chhena is hanging, take a presser cooker add water, sugar, and cardamom, don’t close the lid, and cook till the sugar dissolve.
6. Now take paneer / chhena from the cheesecloth, it should be dry and moist, and crumble it nicely, knead the to form a dough and no lumps and bumps should be there. Nicely knead the paneer dough.
7. After sometimes you will see some fat will start releasing, as soon as it starts releasing, stop there and, Make smooth small round balls and there should not be crack, once it cooks it will be double of size and continue with all the chhena.
8. Now add the chhena ball to the sugar syrup while boiling, and cover the lid and cook till 3 whistles, close the flame.
9. Once the pressure goes away. Open the lid and you can see rasgulla are double in size and let it cool completely.
10. Keep in the refrigerator for at least 1- 2 hours. it’ll be soft, juicy, moist, spongy, it’ll hold its shape and will be heavenly,