Dry Prawn (Sukata) / Kismoor / Galmo we goan calls, it very popular and hope every Indian aware of this beauty, it goes excellent with curry, dry kismur, and salad, etc, Kismur is a goan traditional dish which is relished by everyone big and small, Usually dried fish and dried prawns are stocked up in every Goan household and they act as a saviour on the days when fish is not available in the markets, during monsoon, fish is stock like Mackerel (Bangda in Goan Konkani), Bombay duck (bombil in Goan) & Shark Fish (Mori in Goan Konkani) apply rock salt and dried with the head and shell on and consumed after the head and legs are trimmed and preserve over the months or years. Whenever I come to go on holiday I also always make it a point to carry dried prawns with me and stock them up.
Well, everyone aware of prawns pulao (Prawns – Sukat in Goan Konkani), which is always making with fish prawns but today I will share with dry prawns (galmo / Kismoor) and believe me it was worth trying, first I thought it might be mushy because it’s dry, but when I tried and saw the outcome of dry prawns pulao I was really glad it can be turned so tempting too, you have to add the dry prawns when rice is half done and simmer at low flame and really it was incredible, I tried in a rice cooker, in-case if you are using pressure cooker when 1 whistle close the flame then add the dry prawns and stir a gently, see that rice should not break, then cook for another 5 to 6 minutes till the rice is done, well friend if you have never tried then do try this dish and I am sure you will relish this beauty, and pair with a bit spicy/spicy Ard Mas (I deseed the dry chilly because of my kids you can use directly).
Ard Mas is nothing but meat with the bone it another goan traditional dish, which is cook with fresh ground masala, it is original cook with pig meat (Pork) we don’t get here so I replace with mutton, but mutton is also tasted yummy. This was usually done for any occasions in goa, like birthday, wedding, get together, and over the weekend without Ard Mas, it is incompletely weekend I can say, and my granny and mum use to cook this meat a day ahead that taste better, and Ard Mas usually cook with bony or ribs parts of meat, today I tried again to relish our traditional dish and one of the favourite dish at home.
Ingredients For Ard Mas : 1 Kg Beef with Bones
2 Onions medium (chopped)
1″ inch Ginger
2 Green Chillies (as per taste)
Salt to taste
Ingredients to blend into smooth Paste :
10 Kashmiri Chillies
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp coriander (dry)
1 tsp Turmeric
7-8 Garlic Cloves
4 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
A small ball of Tamarind
1. Wash the meat and cut to medium pieces apply salt and keep aside, chopped onion lengthwise, and cut ginger to Juliennes.
2. Take a blender add the blend to smooth ingredient and blend with little water & keep aside.
3. Now take a deep bottom pot, add beef meat, chopped onion, blend smooth ingredient, add chopped ginger juliennes, 1 1/2 cup water, and salt, close the lid let it simmer at low flame, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or till it is done, check the salt according to desire.
4. Let it cool then take to the serving bowl add the sliced green chillies or can keep the whole
5. Serve with dry Prawns Pulao or any rice.
Dry Prawns Pulao
Ingredients for Pulao :
1 cup Basmati rice
150 grams. Dry Prawns
2 Onion medium
1 Tomato medium
½ tsp. Turmeric pwd.
2 cup water
2 tbsp. Milk.
1 Anise Star for garnish
Salt to taste/maggie 2 piece
1. Dices the onion length-wise, and tomato keeps aside.
2. Heat oil in a rice cooker, at medium heat add onion sauté till translucent. Then add in the tomato and sauté till it is mushy.
3. Add the turmeric pwd., add a tablespoon of milk ( help prevents the rice from getting sticky), add water and Maggie/salt, and incorporate well.
4. Add the rice give a quick stir, close the lid and switch to cook, let it cook after 10 minutes add the dry prawns and stir lightly take care the grain should not break, and check the Maggie / Salt adjust according to taste & let it cook till water evaporates, from the top and but when you check rice with a spoon you will see little water.
5. Switch off the flame and let it cook on its own steam and water will dry and each grain will be separated, after 5 minutes take the dry prawns pulao on a platter and add the dry prawns from rice or can fry and garnish.
6. Serve the Dry Prawns Pulao with Mutton Ard Mas & relish every bit.
Don’t add dry prawns while sauteing the onion, it will be mushy, and if you using a rice cooker then after 1 whistle close the flame and add dry prawns and cook for some time don’t close the lid to get another whistle just close the lid without make lock.
Can also replace with fresh prawns, if you are using fresh prawns add while sauteing the onion.
Ard Mas original made out of pig meat (Pork) with bone, since I don’t get here, I replace with mutton, even mutton meat with bones taste yummy.