Kunda is Belgaum in North Karnataka Sweet and most popular sweet after Mysorepak, Kuda was the name of his daughter, so he names this gorgeous sweet as Kunda, well one day Owner Jakku left the milk boiling and forgot about it. He returned only when the milk had nearly dried up and was reduced to a brown paste. He added some sugar to it, and it tasted lovely. That is how this terrific sweet was formed.
Belgaum Kunda is North Karnataka prepare by reducing and curdling milk and caramelized sugar. which is delicious, I am a big fan of this beautiful dessert, I am pretty sure there are many more lovers out there.
Kunda is one of my favourite sweet, and never miss to have whenever I go for vacation, in Middle East it’s not easily available, so plan to treat my self by prepare at home it is very simple to prepare but need a bit of patience, to prepare all ingredients are handy, milk, sugar, curd, nutmeg/cardamom powder, semolina ghee last but not least patience & passion, it’s incredible and granulated like soya kheema.
2 cups Milk
1 cup Sugar
1 tbsp Semolina
1 tbsp fresh curds
3 tbsp ghee
1 tsp Nutmeg / Cardamon powder
Cashew Nuts for garnish
1. Take a heavy-bottomed pan, add a tbsp of ghee. once the ghee is melt, add a tbsp of semolina, saute until it turns slightly brown colour.
2. Add Milk and bring it to a boil. once the milk boils, add a tbsp of yoghurt & turn off the fire.
3. Take another heavy-bottomed pan, add sugar at low flame stir till it turns caramelized, switch off the flame.
4. Once the sugar gets caramelized, add it into split / curdle milk & incorporate well.
5. Cook on medium flame the caramelized sugar melt, do keep stirring at regular intervals to avoid burning at the bottom and cook until the mixture becomes slightly thick start leaving the sides of the pan.
6.Add the remaining ghee & incorporate well. Turn off the stove, Add nutmeg/cardamom powder and mix well.
7. Garnish with Cashew Nuts /Almond slivers before serving
You can serve Kunda at room temperature, but in the winter season, it’s good to have warm, too also relish warm.
You can also serve with Carrot Halva or a dollop of ice cream & relish every bite.